[Fwd: Re: [Mojonation-users] Stats in the windows client?]

From: Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 15:59:44 MDT

-------- Original Message --------
From: Jim McCoy <mccoy@mad-scientist.com>
Subject: Re: [Mojonation-users] Stats in the windows client?
To: <mojonation-users@lists.sourceforge.net>

on 6/15/01 1:06 AM, Ian Sidle at macmouse4@yahoo.com wrote:

> I know that in the linux version you can get (more or less) "real
> time" stats, which showed how many mojo's you've used, how many you
> have left, have many you earned,etc.. Of course this is from one of
> the MUCH older versions (I believe the first public ver). IS there a
> way to see this in the windoze version? I could find a link
> anywhere.. and I could look at the log manually or pipe it.. but it
> shouldn't be that way. Also if it isn't in the windows or *ANY*
> version PLEASE add it back.

We are removing the mojo totals from the UI for a very specific reason, it
confused people. The way the agent economy worked was that you needed to
first spend mojo acquiring blocks before you could resell them to other
agents. This led to too many people complaining that they only lose mojo
when the whole point had been to use the payments for a secondary purpose of
load balancing and limiting the impact of free-loading agents. Pushing the
focus of the background mojo payments from one of collecting points to a
simple "network karma" score seems to simplify our UI and cause
significantly less confusion among casual users of the system.

I am always curious though when someone asks for more detailed mojo
accounting, what benefit did you find in the detailed mojo totals? We
understand that the "collect as many as you can" thing is fun but what kinds
of value did you derive from detailed stats? We briefly considered adding
some advanced stats to the windows client but can't come up with many
benefits that would offset the cost of coding this up. Any thoughts on this
matter would be appreciated.

jim mccoy
AZI/Mojo Nation