Re: The problem with transhumanism

From: Adrian Tymes (wingcat@pacbell.net)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 11:44:13 MDT

Waldemar Inghdahl wrote:
> The spreading of the message isn't given any thought, and no possible strategies for it are seen (besides somehow getting numerically big, with whoever wants to participate.

What about the threads discussing the adoption of transhumanist memes
by public media? Or the (admitedly rare) discussions on how to
implement near-term pieces of the solution (for instance, Eliezer's
proposed paths to creating AIs)?

Randy Smith wrote:
> If we want to get get to the transhuman stage (personally), we may need to influence the public vision. A war on death is called for. The only encouraging words I have ever heard from any political leader were the words Clinton gave when we spoke at a press conference regarding the human genome project.

Hmm...maybe not a war on death per se (how do you completely prevent
accidents, among other problems), but a war on each major direct or
indirect cause of death, starting with aging? I suspect that the
politicos would be very open to public campaigns to find and halt the
biological changes induced by aging (first direct practical effect:
more funding and publicity for the research that's already going on).
I can think of a few experiments that, to my knowledge, no one is doing
yet, but might be done under this program. (For instance: telomere
repair, reinforcing aged bones' outer layers then converting their
insides to more marrow, and flushing various systems - blood and
digestive especially - to remove non-beneficial susbtances which build
up during normal operation.)