Re: The problem with transhumanism

From: Randy Smith (randysmith101@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 10:23:29 MDT

Well, that was one helluva rant, but if you want my opinion on the problem with transhumanism, it would be that transhumanists think that the free market will drive technology that will make us virtually immortal soon, i.e., create a exponential growth rate of knowledge as a side effect of the economic free market that will subsequently grant us virtual immortality.

My opinion is that this paradigm is flawed (and deeply so). Obtaining actual results from capital invested in techno-business is not a goal. Instead, manipulating the media and buying research results is the standard MO. With respect to investment and results, witness the dotcom fiasco. Results were never the goal. It was all about image and media. Same goes for biotech...

If we want to get get to the transhuman stage (personally), we may need to influence the public vision. A war on death is called for. The only encouraging words I have ever heard from any political leader were the words Clinton gave when we spoke at a press conference regarding the human genome project.

Stupidly (I think), transhumanists would subordinate the end to the means.....