RE: >H ENVIR:Is the planet really dying?

From: Lee Corbin (lcorbin@tsoft.com)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 18:33:52 MDT

Hal writes

> The progress in dealing with the environment is encouraging and welcome
> news. But those of us who favor individual rights must face the fact that
> this progress was generally achieved only through coercion. People did
> not clean the water and air, and begin protecting endangered species,
> through voluntary actions. The gains were made only by passing laws
> forbidding pollution and harming endangered animals.

And I have to wonder if all that suppression of freedom
really accomplished anything in the long run. Perhaps
it's only lasting effect was to retard wealth-creation
and retard technological advance enough to delay the
Singularity a few years.

Doesn't sound like much. But a few years means death for
millions of people. What if I miss living forever because
of a few years? I'll have even more reason to resent those
who "for the sake of everyone" curtailed freedom by passing
a lot of laws.

Lee