Re: vegetarianism and transhumanism

From: Spike Jones (spike66@attglobal.net)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 21:00:52 MDT

"natashavita@earthlink.net" wrote:

> If it disturbs you to eat dead animals, don't do it. I eat plenty of fish becaue for my needs it is the best alternative for eating meat. Otherwise, eat read meat in moderation, get plenty of veggies and, especially broccoli, and take designer vitamins and exercise. All other issues pro or con vegetarian view stumble down to personal ethics. Natasha

Even that rule becomes complicated. I looooove fish.
As I have written before, I am the poster child for
sushi harlotry. But unlike beef and pork, which are
farm raised animals, fish are generally wild animals.
So eating red meat gives the cow and swine *some* life,
which it would not have otherwise had, whereas the uncaught
fish would presumably survive in the wild, to be cheerfully
devoured by some bigger uncaught fish.

I also really like ebi, but is it worse to eat a plateful of
shrimp than a shark steak? One shark can feed a buuunch
of proles, and at the same time it would prevent the
ravenous beast from devouring the afore-mentioned
uncaught fish. But if one goes down that road, then
it would be morally most right to devour whale meat,
for these monsters devour innumerable krill. Its a damn
tough question. spike