Re: Godhood vs Children

From: Olga Bourlin (fauxever@sprynet.com)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 19:06:48 MDT

> My question here is, how do you reconcile having children with pursuing
> goals that can't be accomplished in a normal lifespan to begin with?
> Besides comprehensive and radical self improvement and enlightenment, my
specific
> goals for this life include helping to legalize drugs, end intellectual
> property, and extend maximum lifespan (in the relatively short term,
> meaning several decades) and helping humanity transition into posthumanity
and
> making that transition myself (long term).

If having children is not self-indulgent, I don't know what is. If having
"goals for this life include helping to legalize drugs, end intellectual
property, and extend maximum lifespan (in the relatively short term,
meaning several decades) and helping humanity transition into posthumanity
and making that transition myself (long term)" is not self-indulgent, I
don't know what is. Hey, each to his or her own self-indulgence ...

> >Hal said
> >...I know this is not politically correct today, but historically many
children have
> >had most of their attention coming from their mother. The father was
> >often gone most of the day, with just some perfunctory attention to
> >the kids when he comes home from work, before they are sent off to bed.

Historically, wellllllllllllllll ..... at least since the Industrial
Revolution; furthermore, mostly in the West. Historically speaking, the
blip of time since the Industrial Revolution is like a subatomic particle.