Re: vegetarianism and transhumanism

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2001 - 03:26:12 MDT

James Rogers wrote:

> On 6/10/01 1:30 PM, "Samantha Atkins" <samantha@objectent.com> wrote:
> >
> > I am not so sure. It would be good to have the numbers. I have
> > read somewhere (reference not at hand) that without feeding
> > cattle (billions of head today) we would only need 1/17 of the
> > land now cultivated to feed everyone a vegarian diet.
>
> Except a substantial percentage of cattle aren't fed on cultivated land and
> some of the land that *is* cultivated to feed cattle would be pretty much
> useless for cultivating human food. Simply cutting back on the quantity of
> cattle consumed to eliminate the areas of cultivatable land use overlap
> should be sufficient; no need for everyone to go vegan.

If the cattle are not fed on cultivated land then what are they
fed on? The vast majority of cattle raised for meat and flesh
in the US are raised in factory farms and can't exactly keep the
lawn mowed.

It depends on the amount of cattle fed how many people would
need to go more or less vegetarian to not have cultivatable land
feeding cattle rather than people. Today, the percentage of
cultivatable land feeding cattle is high from what I've heard
claimed. I can't claim to have precise numbers though.

- samantha