Re: vegetarianism and transhumanism

From: J. Goard (wyattoil@foothill.net)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 01:51:54 MDT

At 05:09 PM 6/10/01 -0700, James Rogers wrote:
>On 6/10/01 1:30 PM, "Samantha Atkins" <samantha@objectent.com> wrote:
>>
>> I am not so sure. It would be good to have the numbers. I have
>> read somewhere (reference not at hand) that without feeding
>> cattle (billions of head today) we would only need 1/17 of the
>> land now cultivated to feed everyone a vegarian diet.

>Except a substantial percentage of cattle aren't fed on cultivated land and
>some of the land that *is* cultivated to feed cattle would be pretty much
>useless for cultivating human food. Simply cutting back on the quantity of
>cattle consumed to eliminate the areas of cultivatable land use overlap
>should be sufficient; no need for everyone to go vegan.

Yeah. Anyone familiar with the concept of marginal value?

J. Goard, jjgoard@ucdavis.edu/wyattoil@foothill.net
e-gold account #100592 (www.e-gold.com)
The Beyond outside us is indeed swept away, and the
great undertaking of the Enlightenment complete;
but the Beyond *inside* us has become a new heaven
and calls us to renewed heaven-storming.
                                      --Max Stirner