Re: Moore's Law

From: Max More (max@maxmore.com)
Date: Sun Jun 10 2001 - 13:04:09 MDT

At 12:57 PM 6/10/01, you wrote:

>Well, the stuff does cumulate: SOI, Cu, now strained Si. I used
>to hate Big Blue through the 1980s and the early 1990s, but their
>R&D lately is really impressive. Off-cuff, Blue Gene, Millipede
>and Avouris' buckytronics come to mind.
>
>Who would have thought. IBM, the Xerox of the Noughties.

Yes, they are doing a lot of excellent research. To get a quick overview,
go to:
http://www.manyworlds.com
and type "IBM" into the search box and hit enter. You'll find a bunch of
content that I have entered from IBM Research and outside sources on
everything from materials science and quantum and nanocomputing to
pervasive computing, VoiceXML, protein-folding supercomputers, and the
embrace of open source. The drive for innovation is not just emerging from
the labs, it's also strongly encouraged from the top. For example:

What New Economy?
Q&A with Lou Gerstner of IBM
Technology Review by Louis Gerstner , published on 01/01/01 , rated 5 by
our experts.

In one of his most detailed interviews in years, IBM's chief, Lou Gerstner
talks about his style of leadership, how IBM will continue to lead both in
technology and business, and what he sees as the next big thing. Gerstner
arrived at IBM in 1993, and turned around what seemed to be a sinking ship.
He disputes the idea of a distinct New Economy, instead seeing it as part
of the entire economy. He shows how IBM made progress by moving powerfully
into IT services and e-business, while continuing to innovate in storage,
semiconductors, database technology and high-end computer systems.
Gerstner's biggest excitement lies in the marriage of information
technology with life sciences research and genetics which he sees as the
next major revolution. [7 pages]

Onward!

Max

Max More, Ph.D.
Futurist, Speaker, Consultant.
max@maxmore.com or more@extropy.org
http://www.maxmore.com
President, Extropy Institute. http://www.extropy.org
Chair, 06.15.01, Extro-5: Shaping Things to Come,
http://www.extropy.org/ex5/index.htm
Senior Content Architect, ManyWorlds Inc.: http://www.manyworlds.com
"The Premier Business Strategy Source"
m.more@manyworlds.com