Re: META: To my fellow Extropians

From: Mike Lorrey (mlorrey@datamann.com)
Date: Sun Jun 10 2001 - 02:07:23 MDT

Spike Jones wrote:

> > Mike Lorrey wrote,
> > > There is also an effort by people like Greg,
>
> Miiiiike! You're back! Welcome, we missed you. {8-]

I've unavoidably been on forced abstinence from my Datamann account, and
my hushmail account can't handle the traffic....

> Ive been curious to hear your take on what the Taxifornia
> governor is doing and threatening to do. spike

You mean Comrade Gray, the alien governor leading Plan 9 from Outer
Space? Ah, his little tiff with dubya is a case study in the true
economic and political outlook of the DNC versus the GOP. That being
said, I will cut the mustard here and say that while part of the reason
why California's problem is so chronic is that y'all've conserved so
much energy allready that you don't have much fat left to trim, like a
Bel Aire anorexic thinking she's gotta sweat off more weight to get
ready for a celebrity death match.... poor girl needs to bulk up, eat
some meat, pop some roids, go get her CCW permit, all those bad things
she doesn't wanna do.... On the other hand, Cheney's energy plan was
rather atrocious that it treated conservation and all alternative energy
as 'personal virtue' rather than useful policy.... I'd take the middle
ground, however areas like Taxifornia need to take a diet from
conservation. Its only good for you if the cost per kwh saved is less
than the incremental cost of building new power plants. Spending more
for conservation results not only in money (and therefore resources)
being wasted, and more pollution than is saved, but in creating a
positive feedback loop on power costs... ta da......