Re: ethics is knowable

From: Francois-Rene Rideau (fare@tunes.org)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 02:55:26 MDT

On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 01:06:52AM -0400, Eliezer S. Yudkowsky wrote:
> Why am I annoyed? Because of the following Frequently Heard Fallacy:
> "Ethics is knowable! *Everyone* has to do *X*!" [...]
Just because people use fallacies to justify some specific ethical option
of theirs doesn't mean ethics is not just knowable.
(Beware the argumentum ad logicam.)
That said, I can understand you annoyance.

Note that I didn't mean that it was "completely" knowable
(there is not even any valid generic concept of completely knowable).
I just opposed the argument that it was utterly unknowable.

[ TUNES project for a Free Reflective Computing System | http://tunes.org ]
Il n'y a absolument rien à dire de ce qui échappe complètement aux mots.
The utterly unspeakable is utterly irrelevant.
                -- Faré