Re: The Spike reviewed in Analog, p.s.

From: Damien Broderick (d.broderick@english.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2001 - 23:02:28 MDT

At 02:33 AM 6/7/01 -0400, Eliezer wrote:

>Is that "'wow' appearing in a quote from Eliezer" as
>in "And I *deplore* those gosh-wow, unimaginative,
>so-cloying-they-make-you-throw-up, and just plain *boring* and
>unimaginative pictures of a future with unlimited resources and completely
>unaltered mortals."? Because if so, you're being a bit misleading. I
>know that my own reaction, the moment I read this, was "I used the term
>'wow'? I would never use the term 'wow'. Maybe I used it ironically?"

Yes, of course you used it ironically, or at any rate deflatingly--*to
denote that those who say `gosh-wow' don't get just how WOW a real
post-Singularity future would be*. We might have a Strange Slippery Loop
here. In any event, I rather doubt that Tom Easton would find your actual
views congenial.

>just
>dump the blame for it all on Eliezer.

I know I can away with that, because you're so Friendly.

Damien Broderick