Re: Extropian Media (was Re: Re-crafting the extropian image)

From: Adrian Tymes (wingcat@pacbell.net)
Date: Wed Jun 06 2001 - 11:25:14 MDT

Ben Goertzel wrote:
> I think this is a very interesting analysis. What Wired has done is to give
> the impression that what you need to do to join the new cool culture is to
> *buy lots of cool gadgets*.
>
> I much prefer the theme of Max's talk at the recent manTransforms conference
> in NY, which was, to put it crassly and approximately, about the confluence
> between future technology and self-improvement
>
> In other words -- just speculating freely -- perhaps the underlying theme of
> magazine should be
>
> ** Using understanding to make your life better **
>
> This covers topics of current relevance, such as advances in psychology,
> medicine and useful technology, and also futuristic topics, with a focus on
> how they will improve the quality of existence.

So...practical tips on integrating new knowledge (both in gadget and
concept form) into one's daily life, perhaps, along with predictions
on the future of that knowledge and an outline of the challenges that
future faces? (Maybe with a "how to get involved" section for those
who wish to help deal with those challenges, acting as a newbies' guide
to help draw people into the culture we present?)