Re: Progress: What does it mean to you?

From: Amara Graps (amara@amara.com)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 14:37:19 MDT

Mitch,

>If my belief-system, is however, founded on what we can determine as reason
>and science, then I am free to build my 'castles in the air.'

Hey very cool. Our spacecraft dust detectors do indeed look like
pie-in-the-sky detectors. ;)

> More to the point, if we merely, "follow our dreams" then why not all
>embrace religion, or some unsubstantiated, idea or philosophy?

Is that dream your own ? Is it your reason to jump out of bed every morning
and say 'great! another day that I can do what I love!' ?

Those dreams (say, most of them) aren't based on anyone or anything else.
(If they died tommorrow, that would be pretty grim, eh?) It's all yours.
Once you have passions, you can look at the technology/yourself and figure
how to get from here to there, with the tools available. And if the tools
are not available then build the tools (to build the tools.. to build the
tools.. infinite regress, if necessary)

"Value and reason".. I would think that those are embedded (consciously
or unconsciously) in the process when discovering your dreams. Hopefully
your dreams are not to become a mass murderer.

It looks to me like you have the procedure switched from how I see the process

Your view (I think): Grasp someone else's dream you appreciate,
                     build the tools/technology, know yourself along the way

My view: Know yourself, grasp your own dreams, build the
                      tools/technology (and yourself, if necessary)

Amara

Amara Graps email: amara@amara.com
Computational Physics vita: finger agraps@shell5.ba.best.com
Multiplex Answers URL: http://www.amara.com/
     "Trust in the Universe, but tie up your camels first."
               (adaptation of a Sufi proverb)