Re: Norman Spinrad on THE SPIKE

From: KPJ (kpj@sics.se)
Date: Tue Jun 05 2001 - 03:43:00 MDT

It appears as if Samantha Atkins <samantha@objectent.com> wrote:

|You can store an awful lot of data in some of those crystals.
|And we should really get on with borgifying ourselves. Why,
|most of us still look like everyone else and have no more
|constant Net presence or continous augmentation than your
|average nerd. The Collective awaits. And of course chanting in
|moonlit meadows sounds like good clean fun and might actually
|give us some physical body exercise without enduring the harsh
|light of day most of us shun. :-)

Those who long for "borgifying" and to become perfect cogs of the
"Collective", should become loyal member of the local State.

Be advised that the ``Borg'' metaphore includes dark undercurrents
of collectivism, the communist/fascist contempt of the freedom of
individuals, and meme of superiority of the technocrats over others.

Cyborgs do not need to become a fascist entity.
Cyborgs may well cooperate in e.g. an anarchistic way.

        /kpj
``I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,
  debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own.''
          --No.6; Arrival