RE: vegetarianism and transhumanism

From: Harvey Newstrom (mail@HarveyNewstrom.com)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2001 - 17:40:12 MDT

> > Anyway, health concerns are my reason for being vegetarian. It is a
natural
> > choice for a life-extension diet. I even think seitan would be a good
> > choice for a calorie-restricted diet. The brand I use has 55 grams of
> > protein for only 250 calories.

> What brand? Tofu gets tedious three meals per day.

I use WhiteWave Seitan, "Traditionally Seasoned Wheat Gluten" and the same
brand's "Stir-Fry Strips." Eight ounces of the former provides 77.5 grams
of protein and 350 calories. The latter provides 55 grams of protein in
only 250 calories. I have seen other brands of Seitan, Wheat Gluten or
"Wheat Meat" come in chicken or beef flavor.

Of course, I haven't tasted meat since the mid 1980's, but it tastes good to
me. Unlike tofu, which I have to disguise as food, I simply microwave this
stuff and put steak sauce on it. I actually use a steak knife to cut it.

It is easy to get enough protein with this stuff. One box is a light lunch.
Two boxes provides enough "meat" for my dinner. It is easy to get enough
protein without too many calories.

I don't know how low calorie-restricted diets go. But getting 110 grams of
protein in only 500 calories seems like it would be helpful. I have not
investigated calorie restriction, but my first concern would be to get
enough protein in as few calories as possible. I would probably continue
using nutrient supplements for most nutrients. Even without going the
calorie-restricted route, I would still like to eat a high-protein, low
calorie diet.