Re: Progress: What does it mean to you?

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 16:25:11 MDT

Lee Corbin wrote:

> Have you not hear the Good Word? There is a chance that not
> only death but all suffering will soon be extinguished!
> There arises in the East (actually, to be specific, Atlanta)
> Good Tidings of great joy. Our salvation may be at hand.
>
> So rejoice ye, it **could** be true!

If it isn't Atlanta then it could be somewhere else. The above
may have been written tongue in cheek but it is quite literally
true that we have now and soon will have much more power to
create what we most wish than has ever existed in this world.
Whether it is literally or at least relatively our salvation or
our damnation, our heaven or our hell is very much up to
us. That is the Good News and the Scary News rolled into one.

How will you play? What kind of world will you choose today?

> Yet even so, reside ye further in darkness as an Unbeliever,
> know ye that the plight of people improves steadily even
> without the great S.

Literally true. Seldom noticed, much less celebrated.

> On a whole planet, (the third one from Sol), there has already
> arisen life, and if anything the amount of life there grows
> steadily even unto this very moment. Not only that!!!
>
> Extremely recently some of these living beings have, due to
> an incredible cerebral explosion, reached plateaus of emotion,
> thought, rationality, and scientific explanation achieved
> probably no where in the entire visible universe. Not only that!!!
>
> Even more recently, these highest beings have escaped the worst
> clutches of poverty---not that life even in the City of Joy was
> ever unworthy of living for most people---and have escaped war
> (thanks to the divine Hydrogen Bomb, the actual Salvation of
> the 1960's). Not only that!!! but their prosperity world-wide
> increases exponentially even as we speak.

The HB was not a blessing, divine or otherwise, except in that
it showed us our power and what it could come to if we did not
learn wisdom along with that power.

> And to top it all off, it seems most wonderfully probable that
> from the Earth will emerge a Life Burst, and at close to the
> speed of light Life will soon convert the unbelieving dead
> matter everywhere to eternal joy.

This is very possible. Although I have the sneaking suspicion
that we are not alone. The Others, are staying hidden to see
how we
will use our growing powers if we think it is only up to us.
What they do in relation to us depends on what we do within
ourselves and our creations.

> So what's really to despair about? Yes, the frightful
> holocaust continues: 300,000+ people die every day on
> Earth even though cryonics has already been discovered,
> and yes, governments act to prevent the development of
> chemical solutions to the worst problem, and so on, and,
> regrettably, so on and on.

There is nothing to despair about. Onward!

> But we must continue to study the glass as half full,
> not half empty. Be of good cheer. Look at the big
> picture (whenever you possibly can.)

Amen.

- samantha