Re: Progress: What does it mean to you?

From: Samantha Atkins (samantha@objectent.com)
Date: Sun Jun 03 2001 - 14:02:40 MDT

Amara Graps wrote:

> From: Spudboy100@aol.com
>
> >There is a lot one would change or just consider changing, if we had the
> >means. This has always been a concern of mine, on this, and the transhuman
> >mailing lists, that they never really focus on conceptual ideas, on doing the
> >ultimates
>
> Know Thyself.
>
> I believe that the universe within is just as vast as the universe without.
>
> To change the world outside requires changing the world inside. Do you
> know what are the things uniquely you, that you can offer to the world?
> If you lost everything that you knew and loved, what are the things,
> your passions, that would drive you to continue living? What are the things
> in your mind that prevent you from being free? If you could build yourself
> over from the smallest dust particle, what are the elements of yourself
> that you would begin with?
>
> I don't strive to 'change the world'. I only strive to find and do the
> things that are uniquely mine to give, to be the best that I can be,
> in my own way.
>
> It's only when one has tapped the vast resources inside, that one build
> and connect with the vast resources outside.

Yes! Very well said. It seems to me though that going inside
and becoming my best takes me outside and going outside I come
up against much of the same thing as outside. The boundary
wavers.

I am not so sure that I have a lot that is uniquely me in the
sense that it is just there and mine alone. I am continually
amazed to find the things I thought were uniquely mine also
quite active and flowing through other people. The mix is
different, which of us can best express it in various ways and
various times differs. I know the passions that move me, that
sing through me. But I don't know if it is quite correct to say
it is mine rather than to note it moves me and moves through me.

- samantha