Re: nuclear power

From: Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 01:21:45 MDT

Spike Jones wrote:

> On a lighter note, I have been tracking the payback time for
> solar panels on the roof. If it doesnt pay back in less than about
> 10 years or so, it is not an attractive investment. But if power

Your energy prices are too cheap, at least seen on world average.
This might now become different, now that the Shrub is in office.
Another issue is that a lot of Murrikans are in permanent debt,
investing in a piece of hardware on the roof that won't pay for
itself for years just doesn't enter their minds.

The advantage of your own PV array on the roof are somewhat subtle.
You cut down on your contribution to smog, you're immune to brownouts
e.g. after a quake, your energy prices won't rise, ever, unless the
shiny things on the roof will get taxed one day, you got maximum
output during maximum insolation, where you need the air conditioning,
buying solar now will make demand go higher, so that prices will
further fall down, so more people can get onboard, etc.

> prices rise only a modest amount, solar panels become a good
> investment, even without tax incentives, consequently the
> industry will blossom like a field of Taxifornia poppies after
> a spring rain. Stand by Anne Marie, we shall see capitalism
> in action. {8-] spike

Actually, the largest amount of roof photovoltaics and thermal solar
I've ever seen happens to be in my local community, who supports that
kind of thing lavishly. Your taxes at work, and stuff.
ICBMTO : N48 10'07'' E011 33'53'' http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204