Re: Progress: What does it mean to you?

From: Spudboy100@aol.com
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 23:54:12 MDT

In a message dated 6/1/2001 11:35:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lcorbin@ricochet.net writes:

<< There once was a little six-year old boy who loved to
 watch Flash Gordon on television, and liked to play so
 much with his little friends. I'm very certain that he
 was a very sweet little kid, all the records seem to
 show it, and there are some testamonials. But he's
 completely gone now, and yes, there are tears in my
 eyes when I think of that loss. You could search the
 universe over, and you'll never find that little boy,
 because he's dead. He's the little boy I used to be.

 This is a senseless tragedy too, if you can open your mind
 and realize it. Given the proper level of technology,
 there is simply NO REASON for this little boy to be dead.
 There is so much matter that is being wasted just being
 bare rock, or composing gas on Jupiter. Why can't that
 little Lee have just the tiniest little piece, to stay
 alive with, and to continue to laugh and play with
 his friends, and watch Flash Gordon on television?

 We are simply (and wrongly) merely accustomed to the death
 of such. But when we have the strength, the time, and the
 luxury of complete compassion, we'll all see the truth.

 Lee Corbin >>
There is a lot one would change or just consider changing, if we had the
means. This has always been a concern of mine, on this, and the transhuman
mailing lists, that they never really focus on conceptual ideas, on doing the
ultimates At least I consider things like salvaging the past, one of the
ultimates. It seems, unless I am missing scientific or mathematical authors,
is that there are no thinkers (people of letters) involved with these sublime
conjectures. I do lurk on the Everything list as well as the Fabric of
Reality List, and have so-far found very little conceptualists. Also, many
seem to lack the poignancy. Sigh.

Mitch