Re: Progress: What does it mean to you?

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 18:57:40 MDT

Anne Marie Tobias wrote:

> You've already lived long enough to know the death of the infant
> you knew yourself to be, the child you knew yourself to be, and
> the adolescent you knew yourself to be. Do you waste even a
> second mourning their passing????

Sure, because I'm worried that there's been actual information-loss
(though I have hopes that the memories will be retrievable in fair
fidelity after the Singularity). We actually lose bits of ourselves as we
grow up, and this is not good. A transhuman with permanent storage would
die much less over time, be more in touch with past selves. I mourn the
nondeliberate lossage, not the deliberate progress.

Eliezer S. Yudkowsky http://singinst.org/