Re: nuclear power

From: Damien Sullivan (phoenix@ugcs.caltech.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 01 2001 - 14:43:15 MDT

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 06:14:46PM +0200, Eugene Leitl wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, S.J. Van Sickle wrote:
>
> > Cheaper and safer? Such as?
>
> As a stopgap measure, coal, oil and methane, as microinstallations.

http://www.ornl.gov/ORNLReview/rev26-34/text/colmain.html

claims coal in fact dumps more radioactive material into the environment, due
to uranium and thorium in the coal. And
http://www.epa.gov/radiation/students/calculate.html
an EPA background radiation calculator, has coal plants contributing 3x as
much radiation as a nuclear plant.

It would seem that logically an acceptable disposal of nuclear waste would be
to grind it up fine and spew it in the atmosphere, or dump it where we dump
coal fly ash. Which the ORNL page says is actually a good source of
fissionables, and not very guarded...

-xx- Damien X-)