Re: uploading and the survival hang-up

From: Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 22:20:38 MDT

Lee Corbin wrote:

> Apparently you all got the wrong answer.

I do not see how a verbal but formal description of
the process occuring can be seen as "wrong". It is
just a description, after all.

> That's not a good reason. The correct answer is "What
> benefits me most". You erroneously have concluded that
> you are not your duplicate.

Look, if we were describing something esoteric here,
I would have understood. Forking of simulations due
to introduced perturbations is something what occurs
today in today's computers, is described in today's literature
and what I'm personally familiar with. I'm not sure why
the topic is so hard to grasp (CryoNet is seeing the same
idiotic discussion occuring over and over year over year
over year), as it is not exactly rocket science.

Identity in a simulation is defined by the system state
being exactly the same, down to a single bit. As soon as you
introduce a perturbation you cause a bifurcation. The
statespace trajectories of two systems have started to
diverge. For most systems in most states, the human mind
included, even a single bit perturbation introduced will
cause the states of the simulation achieve considerable
separation in state space.

Now please observe how above passage differs from

 "That's not a good reason. The correct answer is "What
 benefits me most". You erroneously have concluded that
 you are not your duplicate."

As it stands, it voices an opinion, nothing more. Please
define the identity and similiarity metrics you use. Also,
please tell me whether you think that your twin brother is
yourself (basically the same situation has occured in
reality as in simulation).

> >I don't get it. This topic is so dead, it's not
> >even smelling anymore.
>
> Okay, then don't bother replying.

You know, I had to actually check the headers, whether
this is still the extropian list.

ICBMTO : N48 10'07'' E011 33'53'' http://www.lrz.de/~ui22204