RE: uploading and the survival hang-up

From: Harvey Newstrom (mail@HarveyNewstrom.com)
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 18:53:57 MDT

Ben Goertzel wrote,
> What about all the identical twin studies showing low-level telepathy
> between identical twins? Does anyone here believe them? I'm not a true
> believer by any means, but I'd give them a >5% chance of being true.

This is where I have a problem with the concept of identical copies being
the same mind. There is a mystical belief that they are connected
telepathically in some unexplained way.

I have a twin brother. We do not have telepathy. None of the twins I have
ever met claimed to have telepathy. This seems to be something that
non-twins seem to think twins will have.

If the copy question requires telepathy to transfer my consciousness, I
definitely would not bet my life on it.

--
Harvey Newstrom <http://HarveyNewstrom.com> <http://Newstaff.com>