RE: uploading and the survival hang-up

From: Harvey Newstrom (mail@HarveyNewstrom.com)
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 13:48:14 MDT

Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de wrote,
> Kerrrrist in a sidecar, haven't we solved the problem
> like five years ago? As long as two (three, four, ...)
> copies remain in synch, they're the same person. There
> is no measurement procedure which can tell them apart.
>
> This can only occur in extremely controlled environment,
> like a simulation where both the upload (deterministic
> model) and upload's input are identical down to a single
> bit.
>
> If this does not happen, a fork occurs, and you have
> two individuals. At this point to have to ask the
> individuals, whether they mind being terminated. The
> answer is personal, I would very much mind being terminated
> after I can become aware that we've forked.
>
> I don't get it. This topic is so dead, it's not even smelling
> anymore.

I agree with you. And yet, people keep showing up on the list insisting
that a copy is an acceptable way to upload. This is an FAQ, but we do not
have consensus on the answer. You and I agree the answer is obviously one
way, but a bunch of other people insist that the answer is obviously another
way.

--
Harvey Newstrom <http://HarveyNewstrom.com> <http://Newstaff.com>