Re: Igniting the atmosphere ref

From: scerir (scerir@libero.it)
Date: Thu May 31 2001 - 07:09:14 MDT

Trinity experiment.

Emilio Segrč told me that an accurate calculation,
about that problem, was made by himself and Bruno
Rossi, by order of Robert Oppenheimer.
"When we were performing that calculation (involving pressures,
neutron density, temperatures, etc.) we also met Enrico Fermi,
who has already done his own calculation."

Segrč told that the main danger was the production of
U-235, at Oak Ridge. For some reason (military secret)
nobody, at Oak Ridge, was aware about the critical mass
problem. So they used to stock very dangerous quantities
of U-235 ! Oppy immediately sent Segrč down there ....

- S.