RE: Hate IRC? Was: Hate mail anyone?

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Tue May 29 2001 - 10:39:44 MDT

I'm not sure that the word "mental illness" is fully appropriate here; it
strikes me as a little bit of an overstretched metaphor.

We humans have *very severe mental limitations*, and we often demonstrate
*counterproductive, self-defeating behaviors* as a consequence of these
limitations. Many of these limitations don't have to do with our
intelligence per se, but more with our limited ability to control ourselves,
due to our powerful biological drives.

"Illness" seems to me to refer to

1) a poor condition that some entity gets into, after previously being in a
"healthy", non-ill state.

2) a condition that some entity is in which is markedly worse than that of
other entities of the same kind (e.g. a congenital mental illness)

I don't feel that either of these cases matches the human condition NOW.
Rousseau, with his doctrine of the 'natural, primitive man', on the other
hand, would definitely have disagreed with me, feeling that modern man's
state of mind is a kind of technology-and-civilization-induced mental
illness...
As for me, I suppose we are far less limited than the organisms that came
before us....

On the other hand, would a superhuman AI view us as mentally ill because of
our limitations? Probably not -- no more than we would view a dog as
mentally ill because it spends all day crawling, sniffing and panting. An
AI that acted like a human would be viewed as mentally ill, just like a
person who acted like a dog.

ben