RE: Progress: What does it mean to you?

From: Natasha Vita-More (natasha@natasha.cc)
Date: Mon May 28 2001 - 20:10:23 MDT

At 01:48 AM 5/27/01 -0700, Leonardo wrote:

>> When we think of progress, we remember the Enlightenment. When we look
>> back at Transhumanity, we will think of the progress of progress. What
>> does this mean to you?
>
>To me, the progress of progess means the adaptation of nonlinear models of
>development. The Englightenment, and mostly the Industrial Revolution,
>pursued the quest of "faster, stronger, cheaper, more" for its processes.
>This was the result of a Newtonian-Cartesian perspective of the world based
>on mechanistic reductionism. With the advent of complex systems theory, a
>new perspective sprung from concepts like integration, interactions,
>networks, and chaos. Progress then embodies not a linear path, but an
>expansive exploration of interrelated systems.
>
>It seems there is much progress of both types underway. Linear progress of
>engineering methods lends itself to immediate applicability. Non-linear
>progress at the basic science level, however, opens the way to a paradigm
>shift with more far-reaching consequences.

Thank you for this example. In regards to nonlinear progress, what
specific example can you give of physical events that might occur. How do
you see this affecting a transhuman's cognizance and perceptions. Does it
matter to you that much emphasis is dealt to the hand of technology's
computing power rather than methods by which culture can and will change?
Certainly it is understood the we are tool makers by our species, but I'm
referring to the psychology of change.

Vernor Vinge places emphasis on the filtering of information to culture to
keep up with change, and assumes that those who make the singularity happen
will benefit manifold by it (as long a the investments are in applications
that supply a pending demand.) I agree with this.

When I consider the progress of progress, there is one concept that comes
to mind - overcoming death. This is still a biological based progress, no
matter how much technology we use to accomplish this aim. In that
overcoming death has been the single issue for humans - whether just in the
moment we are faced with the onslaught of death or for those who set out to
achieve it; it seems to me that this would be a definitive reaching point.
After than, certainly superintelligent beings - posthumans - can advance in
a newly formed idea of progress.

(Or, things could dampen out, as Gunter Stent talks about in his book The
Coming of the Golden Age: A View of the End of Progress.)

So there is progress of historical significance for civilization and there
is technological progress which through the Enlightenment and the
Industrial Revolution, Digital Revolution, etc. came about. But there is
also the progress of consciousness in accepting and adapting to change.

Thanks,

Natasha

Natasha Vita-More

       http://www.natasha.cc
       ___________________________
Art and Culture: Create/Recreate: The 3rd Millennial Culture
"Primo 3M+ 2001" Future Physique 3D
       http://www.extropic-art.com
Culture & Progess: Progress Action Coalition
       http://www.ProgressAction.org
Transhuman History and Culture:
       http://www.transhsuman.org
       http://www.transhumanistfaq.com