re: Progress: what does it mean to you?

From: John M Grigg (starman125@lycos.com)
Date: Mon May 28 2001 - 19:06:45 MDT

Natasha wrote:
When we think of progress, we remember the Enlightenment. When we look back at Transhumanity, we will think of the progress of progress. What does this mean to you?
(end)

I suppose Damien Broderick's book _The Spike_ does a good job of trying to explain the "progress of progress." The way each year technological development in various fields works together in a synergistic way which seems to snowball is truly amazing.

I like the quote from a Linda Nagata science-fiction novel where a character says to the effect, "we are on a rampaging locomotive and instead of hitting the brakes we need to break on through the concrete walls ahead of us to be free!"

best wishes,

John

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!