Re: Bill Joy on the CBS evening news

From: John Marlow (johnmarrek@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Jan 04 2001 - 21:25:30 MST

I am 100% opposed to Mr. Joy's "relinquishment"
attitude--but the man has a point. If the consequences
of mistakes with nuclear weapons (or nuclear power,
for that matter) were as dire as those of mistakes
made with nanotechnology, I assure you, we would all
be dead already. Absolutely no question whatsoever.

john marlow

---
John M Grigg wrote:
A few nights ago I was fascinated to see a brief
interview with Bill Joy on CBS evening news.  The
topic was "robotic artificial intelligence" and a
brief overview was given of some advances in this
area.  Then Bill Joy was shown(I had never seen him
before) and he summed up his quick comments with "what
humanity can do, it will do, and so humanity will
destroy itself with these new technologies!"  For such
a supposedly intelligent man I was taken aback by his
statement.  By his own flawed logic we should have
already destroyed ourselves with nuclear weapons.
John