Re: Subject: Strategy games (was: Anti-Missle systems for tanks andother vehicles

From: Adrian Tymes (wingcat@pacbell.net)
Date: Tue Jun 27 2000 - 00:58:54 MDT

john grigg wrote:
> Anyone else here play the microgames? Remember _Chitin_, Ice War_,
> _Invasion of the Air Eaters_, and _Warp War_ to name a few? Interestingly,
> Steve Jackson has an interest in cryonics and has posted on Cryonet a few
> times. I can't wait to play his postsingularity games! :)

One wonders what he would make of our struggles.

---
Game background:  You are among the chosen of your race.  Technology has
opened up wondrous new possibilities, but out of the billions of
sentients on your planet, only a few individuals can see them, and fewer
still are in any position to realise them.  Most of the rest either do
not know enough to see the future, or do not know how to usefully
exploit the resources that are within everyone's reach.  New thoughts
and discoveries fuel your progress as surely as combustibles and
electricity fuel the machines that implement your vision.
Just recently, paths towards ultimate ideological dominance have
appeared to you, some objectionable, some producing utopia.  You might
reengineer your species into your personal vision of superiority.  You
might seed your planet with nanoscale machines that edit matter to
enforce your values.  Or you might launch your species on an ever-
expanding sphere of colonization of the nearby stars, to forever prevent
anyone from achieving the above scenarios for all members of your
species.
Along the way, you will undoubtedly go through some transformations
yourself.  You might appropriate the mass of an asteroid, or even a
planet, and turn it into one giant computer linked directly into your
consciousness.  Your physical body will be rebuilt - whether
biologically, as a robot, a mixture of the two, or into some
unanticipated form - in order to avoid the form of death that has so far
claimed all of your race who grew too old.  Although you may bring some
of the masses under your wing by granting them vision, or even build
armies of sentient machines, you yourself will be the most valuable of
any forces you direct.
But you are not the only one.  Others have seen the same paths you have,
and possess similar physical and intellectual resources.  You will have
to work together if any of you are to suceed, but everyone's desired
ultimate end is slightly different, and at most only one of you can be
fully successful - though it is quite possible for everyone to lose.
And there are many unenlightened souls out there who, either fearing the
future or just misunderstanding it, will do anything to stop you all.
Most of them do not even understand the present well enough to be any
threat to you, but some do.
Suceed, and you will be revered for all time - and you will be there to
appreciate it.  Even a good failure will get you some measure of fame
and wealth.  Take too long to get results, though, and you will be just
another person who died before death was cured.
---
Natch, a few elements are emphasised differently than they are in
reality in order to make a good game.  But it might be interesting to
see Steve's take on that, no?