Iridium dissident network

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 15:55:08 MDT

David Brin wrote:

> ABSTRACT: What daring 21st century concepts or projects would you most
> like to see pursued, if money were no object?

My father notes that the soon-to-burn-up Iridium network has excellent
potential as an uncontrolled communications medium. As such, it might
be a useful public service - for China in my father's example, although
targeting Iran, or Iraq, is likely to generate less political fallout.
The classic Stiegler scenario involves mass-produced palmtops rather
than large, bulky Iridium phones, but a global satellite network is at
least a step towards the ideal. Does anyone know how much it'd cost to
run the ground control stations (assuming you can buy the satellite
network for $1 or whatever); does anyone know when the network
irreversibly de-orbits; and does anyone know of a handy 'illionaire (or
a network of Chinese dissidents) who'd consider it worthwhile?

Personally, I think it unlikely that anyone will step up to fund this in
time. But the idea is certainly worth passing on - as is the underlying
challenge. For example, if it turns out that active Iridium phones are
too easy to detect: What would it take to overlay static on a voice/fax
line, or bit twitches on a digital cellphone connection, that were
distinguishable from random noise *only* if you possessed the encryption
key? And what bandwidth could you get? Could you run a FreeNet network
over random, innocently-made cellphone calls that happened to be made
from phones plugged into a FreeNet laptop? And is FreeNet a good
architecture for supporting revolutionary cells?

From:  M. Yudkowsky (m.yudkowsky@pobox.com)